Friday 9 November 2012

Happy November!

November is a great month.  Discount Halloween candy, winter coats, umm...that's all I've got actually.  But I really like both of those things.  Unlike October and December, there is no big event at the end of the month to stress about for weeks.  It's just a nice, relaxed month.


As promised, here is what I was stressing about all through October...


The bat costume!  It turned out pretty well!  And it's always nice when people ask you where you bought your costume, even though they can clearly tell that you made it yourself in your poorly lit basement bedroom with a half-broken sewing machine.  

If for some reason you decide that you would like to make a bat costume like this for yourself, here is a list of everything you would need:

1. about 2 yards of fun fur (i used brown for the front and black for the back)
2.  about 2 yards of some kind of shiny black fabric (how cool would it be if you made the wings out of fake leather??)
4. about 4 yards of boning
5. some cardboard to keep your wings from curling up with the boning (i destroyed every cereal box in the apartment)
6. a small amount of black elastic to sew to the end of the wings to go around your wrists

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, all in all.  My sewing machine was acting out a little bit so some of the stitching on the wings was pretty rough, but other than that I think the bat was a success!

The best part of this Halloween though, I think was the 3D skull cake.  


So good right? RIGHT?  I have about 40 novelty cake pans, but this one is definitely the best (it takes the cake...if you will...? coughcough).  My sister bought it for my for my birthday, and I was so happy to finally get the chance to use it.  I think this cake pan will be used for more than just Halloween in the future (I'm thinking christenings, baptisms, wakes etc).  I made the royal icing roses in my George Brown College cake decorating class. Definitely worth what I paid for the class just learning how to make those.  They will probably find a place in every cake I make for the next 10 years.  I love them.

Now, having said that there is nothing at the end of this month to stress about, I am already starting to stress about Christmas.  Luckily, this year I have Pinterest!!  I think it is going to make planning gifts a LOT easier...  God I love the internet.

xoxo

Gossip Girl

I mean...

Whatever. Never mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment