Sunday 17 November 2013

Finnish grandmother doughnuts

I've gotta say, this Sunday is the best Sunday.  I'm currently in my PJs (yes, it is 7 pm), sitting in a comfy chair, watching a documentary about Easter Island on TVO (though clearly not really paying attention), all while Naomi slaves away in the kitchen making me a delicious dinner.  And it's only going to get better!! How, you ask? WELL earlier today I made a million doughnuts.  Yes, delicious, cinnamon-sugar coated, deep fried doughnuts made using a recipe from Stephan's old-country finnish grand mother.  Turns out, the Finns really know how to make a doughnut.

HERE IS THE RECIPE!!

2 eggs
5 tbsp sugar
2 cups warm milk
1 cup melted butter
2 packets of yeast
1/2 tsp salt (typing this I have realized that I omitted the salt by accident!  Oops!)
approximately 5 cups and 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
a bunch of sugar and cinnamon for dusting

1. Whisk together the eggs and sugar
2. Add warm milk and melted butter.  It's important that the milk is warm or else the yeast won't work!
3. Sprinkle yeast on top of warm mixture and let sit for 15 minutes, until yeast is frothy
4. Mix in flour (and salt!) until dough is stiff-ish.  It's possible that you may need slightly more or slightly less than the recipe calls for, so don't add it all at once.
5. Cover dough and let rise for 1 hour
6. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface and cut out doughnut shapes.  I didn't have a cutter small enough for the centres so I used the mouth of a bottle.



7. Let cut out doughnuts rise for 15 minutes.
8. Heat vegetable oil for deep-frying.  I found the best temperature for this was between 160-170 C.
9. Fry doughnuts on each side until golden brown.  Make sure not to crowd the pot as it will make the doughnuts hard to flip.


10. Roll in cinnamon sugar
11. EAT!


This is an amazing recipe, but be warned, it makes a TON of doughnuts.  I made about 40, so probably I'll be gaining about 15 lb in the next week.

Enjoy!!

1 comment: