Tuesday 23 October 2012

Boo!

It's the most wonderful time of the year!  Halloween is upon us!  There is nothing I love more than the chilly fall weather, cozy sweaters, and children in costumes.  Any other time of year I could do without children.  They're loud and smelly and gross.  Children in Halloween costumes, though, are really freaking cute.

I remember as a kid having some of the greatest costumes.  My mom is the coolest and always made me amazing ones, even taking into account that I would have to wear a big puffy winter coat or snow suit over/under it.  My favourite costume was a big, fun-fur black cat.


Every year, I plan on starting my costume months early and making something super cool.  Something that might live up to the amazing costumes I had as a kid.  This, of course, never happens.  I don't even end up coming up with an idea for a costume until the start of October, and it takes me another week or so to get my act together enough to find supplies.  My costumes generally end up looking at worst disturbingly home-made, and at best moderately endearing.

Here are some past winners:

Unicorn

This, of course, would have been much to sweaty to wear to a party, so I swapped the full fake-fur body suit for a white secretary dress and called myself a unicorn secretary.

Lobster


As we can all see, my costumes tend to look like a child made them.  But perhaps that is their charm.

This year, as per usual, I am down to the wire in making my costume.  It is Tuesday, October 23rd, and it basically needs to be done on Thursday.

My costume this year?


BAT!  So far, I have made the body out of fake fur (do you see a trend?).  Tomorrow night I will tackle the wings.  I have a pile of black fake satin and some boning, though I haven't really planned out how I am going to accomplish them.  Good or bad, I will report back.

Wish me luck!  (Spooooky luck)

Hannah



1 comment:

  1. your costumes are ALWAYS the best
    any child that could make any of those... well, basically a freaking genius pro crazy child.
    just sayin.

    ReplyDelete