Tuesday 24 July 2012

On finishing projects

If there is one thing I know about myself, it's that I am a non-finisher.  That is to say, of course, that I do not finish things.  Leftovers, board games, movies, songs, and ESPECIALLY crafts.  I have piles of half knitted scarves, skirts missing hems, and I think I started sculpting some antlers out of chicken wire a while ago but I'm not sure where that has gotten to...  Maybe it's because my workspace looks like this:



Part of the reason I thought I might start this blog was so that maybe, just MAYBE, I would finish something.  So that I would feel like I have something/someone to report back to.  So here goes.  The projects I will finish, in a REASONABLE amount of time, are: 1. clean up this terrible desk/sewing table/trash heap and maybe get a LAMP for chrissakes and 2. A QUILT!  And it's started already!  Lemme show you!



Here is what I did just now!  






Okay I know it doesn't look like much yet.  And shut up about my bed.  As you can see, I am in desperate need of a quilt to make my room less lame.


I highly recommend quilt making to everyone.  Especially those with a huge stash of scrap fabric and 6 seasons of Dawson's Creek to watch.  Okay, so I have already been working on this quilt for 6 months.  Shut up.  And yes, I did watch all six seasons of Dawson's Creek while cutting out the squares.  Anyway, this is my first quilt.  So I expect it will take me another 6 months to finish it.  NO WAIT.  The whole point of this was for me to FINISH this thing.  SO...3 months!!  But hopefully less.  HOLD ME ACCOUNTABLE, BLOG!


This is what I have done so far, and what you should do if you too want to make a scrap quilt!


1. Bust out the stash.  I have been hiding fabric all over the apartment-my closet, my dresser, the treasure chest that doubles as a coffee table...  Get it all out.  Pick out the stuff that matches (or doesn't). If you are anything like me, you probably have enough scrap fabric to make 8 king sized quilts.


2. Using a rotary cutter, cut out a shit ton of squares.  Mine were 7 inches by 7 inches, and I cut out 140 of them.  This is TOO MANY.  Do not cut out this many if you want a manageable first quilt.  Once I laid out my squares I decided to use 90.  


3.  Lay out your squares.  Hopefully, unlike me, you have a large enough space to do this.  I laid out my squares 9 by 10.  Decide how you want the squares arranged.  It will be much easier to do any rearranging now than when all the squares are sewn up!


4. Gather up each row into piles.  Label each row 1 through 9 so that the delicate arrangement of squares does not get ruined!


5. Sew rows together.  I am using a 1/4 inch seam for this.


And that is how far I have gotten so far!  If any readers (ha ha ha) have any advice on how to proceed once the top is sewn together...


TO RECAP: I WILL finish this quilt.  And SOON!  AND I will get a lamp for my sewing table and turn it into less of a garbage heap.  I think it can be done.


Goodnight dearies!


Hannah

2 comments:

  1. ACCOUNTABILITYYYYYYYYY
    now you're screwed because now i'm watching
    muahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Now I have two experts to help me make the wedding chuppah.

    ReplyDelete